What is Managed Security Services?
Managed Security Services else known as Network Security Service, is a service provided by an outsourced Managed Security Service Provider. In this service, the approach is done very systematically in order to cater to the various needs of the company when it comes to the security of the company. This service can be provided either in the premises of the client’s office or even outsourced to a company which specializes in Networking and Information System Security.
Functions of a Managed Security Service
In order to prevent any kind of intrusion into the company’s firewall, round the clock monitoring has to be done. Included along with this service is the Intrusion Prevention System and Firewall Management. Other things that would be included would be Management. Other things that would be included would be
- Administrating Patch Upgrading and Management
- Performing regular Security Assessments and Audits
- Emergency response at any point of time
- Providing a temporary solution until the problem is fixed.
There is a huge demand for companies that provide MSSPs in the market today as they provide various security services which is done by experts at an economical rate. It also works out beneficial for the company as this way they have someone not just catering to their needs, however they get 24/7 assistance as well as it saves the cost of hiring an individual. The various services that are offered by MSSP companies are as follows
Network Boundary Protection which includes the Firewalls Managed Security Services along with Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) and Intrusion Prevention Systems (IDSs)
- 24/7 Monitoring of the Security Systems which may also be included in the Network Boundary Protection services.
- Incident or Disaster Management which includes taking concrete measures for a temporary solution until the problem is solved completely. Forensic analysis to understand the next course of action etc.
- Penetration Testing and Vulnerability Assessment
- Content Filtering Systems and Anti Virus Installation and Upgrading
- Assessments for Information Security Risk
- Data Restoration and Archiving
- On-Sight Consulting etc.
It is essential that every company requires the best quality of practical and strategic guidance when it comes to the security of their information. In order for them to understand how these systems and services work, the work a round’s and every other such details, it is only but natural for them to turn to an expert who can help them out. For a constant evaluation, selection, management and maximization of their security services, this is where MSSPs like Immunity Networks come into place.
What does Immunity Networks offer?
Immunity Networks is a company which provides its customers different kinds of Security System Management Services. Some of them are as follows
- Reports of Penetration Testing and Regular Vulnerability Assessments are given to the client on regular basis.
- Monitoring, Managing and Maintaining the network firewall of the client which includes monitoring and managing the traffic routing as well as reports for the same for the client.
- Individual host and Network Level Intrusion Prevention Management, this includes sending regular alerts to the client, updating and suggesting the latest defence systems that can help in Intrusion Protection and Prevention along with regular reports for intrusion activities or attempts etc.
- Providing the essential Mitigation Support in case there is an intrusion as well as emergency response and a complete forensic analysis to find out what and why it happened.
- E-Mail Content filtering Services which also includes Emails from other traffic.
Data Archive Services
It is the responsibility of any company to ensure that they defend themselves from the various risks when it comes to Business and Information Security, however Immunity Networks walks hand in hand with the client to ensure that this is achieved giving the client breathing time to concentrate on other activities knowing that their business and data is secured.
When a business is not secured properly when it comes to the data and information of the company, it can lead to various risks which can be bad for the company. To ensure this, security policies and processes are the keys to the protection of the business and its development. It is just not enough to have them in place, however it is also essential for us to ensure that they are updated, tested and upgraded so that the data is archived properly.
Different Categories of Managed Security Services
- On Site Consultation
- In order to understand the various needs and requirements of the client, Immunity does an onsite consultation to assess
- what the customer presently has and what is actually required for the business
- the architectural alteration and modifications which also includes the designing of the new setup.
- Updating and Upgrading the different technologies that are present with the client
- Managing and Preventing the various risks that the customer may be vulnerable to.
Incident response services and forensics.
- Remote Perimeter Management
This is a service that is offered to the customer when it comes to the installation and upgrading the firewall of the client’s company server. This also includes Intrusion Prevention and Virtual Private Network (VPN) software and hardware services, configuration and changes which are essential for the customer.
- Managed Security Monitoring
This is a service which is the first step taken when it comes to Incident response services. The company’s systems are monitored on a daily basis and base on the findings, Immunity helps in the interpretation the various systems which are important to understand what is actually happening on the network of client. This includes an behaviours which is unauthorized, Denials of Service (DoS) and malicious hacks, trend and anomalies analysis etc.
- Vulnerability and Penetration Testing
Before the recommendation for any kind of alteration, the Vulnerability and Penetration Testing is very important. This helps us to know what the various loop holes are in the network. It also helps us to know where there are possibilities of any attempts of hacking when it comes to the logical and technical perimeters.
Advantages of Managed Services
- Helps to reduce and control the IT and Labour Cost’s
- The job is done by people who are Certified, Qualified, Trained and Experienced.
- Helps in increasing the efficiency as well as improving the competitiveness.
- The systems are up to date with the latest technology.
- Helps the customer to focus on the various other core requirements of the business
- Reduces the risks and loss for the client.
- Helps in the levelling of the playing field.
- Caters to Security and Compliances issues and requirements.
- The monthly costs and capital outlay is low and predictable
- Flexibility in services
- Converged services
- Highly secured and resilient infrastructure
- Service levels are centralized and increased accurately
- Business continuity during the time of a disaster recovery Lean and Green.
Why should you opt for MSSP services?
There are many reasons why a corporate business outsource their Managed Security Service requirements to a company that specialize in it. Some of the reasons are as follows
- Security is not their specialization
- A business needs a lot of protection from the various risks and attacks from hackers who are now more well versed with the latest technology. In order to fight these attacks, it requires a lot of effort, time and skills which is not possible on a normal environment.
- For a business it is essential that they have the best services and reduce the costs. While it can became very expensive for a small size company or business to have a good network security personal on their payroll, companies that provide such services is the best choice.
- companies have to adhere to the latest regulatory requirements, this means that the security systems auditing and reporting has to be done regularly.
- When the work is outsourced to a company that specialises in MSSP services, it gives companies the time to concentrate on other requirements and aspects of the customers. This is because they do not have to worry about the safety of their data since it is already taken care of. The operating costs for these business are reduced and they get 24/7 service.
- Immunity’s Managed Security Service Solutions creates opportunities
We offer the customers a low-risk and easy approach in the starting and maintenance of the MSSP services. We are a combination of cutting edge technology and innovative business ideas which offers our clients a Low Total Cost of Ownership(TCO) and creates an outstanding business opportunity.
- Immunity MSSP solutions opens doors
The MSSP solution with Immunity gives an opportunity for businesses to open new streams to generate more revenue for the company using the help of the various capabilities which are provided by the different products that are with Immunity. For example, if a customer wants a service that offers them a high customized real time visibility of the environment which includes the IPS security Policies, firewall, reports and logs, then the Immunity Web Portal is the service for you. With this service, customers can also provide 3rd party auditors a read only access so that it becomes easy for them to remotely audit the security environment.
- Immunity’s IPS and VPN/Firewall for the different needs
These services helps making it easy to cater to the various needs of the customer when it comes to MSSP services and devises which is located either in the premises or in the Security Operation Centre(SOC). The customer can go ahead and outsource a minor portion of their security so that various tests can be taken out in order to asses if the MSSP is up to the Service Level Agreements(SLA). Gradually the customer can then move a little more comprehensive outsourcing, however this is advisable only after the MSSP company establishes a good record with the company and has lived up to expectations of the customer.
Categories of Managed Security Services
This is customized assistance in the assessment of business risks, key business requirements for security and the development of security policies and processes. It may include comprehensive security architecture assessments and design (include technology, business risks, technical risks and procedures). Consulting may also include security product integration and On-site incident response and forensics.
Remote perimeter management
This service installs and upgrades the firewall, Virtual Private Network (VPN) and intrusion prevention hardware and software, commonly performing configuration changes on behalf of the customer.
Managed security monitoring
This is the day-to-day monitoring and interpretation of important system events throughout the network, including unauthorized behavior, malicious hacks and denials of service (DoS), anomalies and trend analysis. It is the first step in an incident response process.
Penetration and vulnerability testing
This includes one-time or periodic software scans or hacking attempts in order to find vulnerabilities in a technical and logical perimeter. It generally does not assess security throughout the network, nor does it accurately reflect personnel-related exposures due to disgruntled employees, social engineering, etc.
Advantages of Managed Services
- Control IT Costs
- Reduce Labor Costs
- Trained, Experienced, Qualified, Certified.
- Qualified doesn’t Equal Experienced
- Increase Efficiency and Competitiveness
- Quickly Implement New Technology
- Stay Focused on Your Core Business
- Reduce risk
- Level the Playing Field
- Compliance and Security
- Future proof services, using best-of-breed technology
- Low capital outlay and predictable monthly costs
- Flexible service
- Converged services
- Highly resilient, secure infrastructure
- Increased Service Levels
- Disaster recovery and business continuity
- Green and lean
Many corporates are thinking about outsourcing their security operations to a managed security service provider (MSSP). Possible reasons include:
- Security is not their core business.
- Corporates need more protection as hackers have become more sophisticated and thwarting attacks requires more skill, time and effort.
- Corporates want to have greater competency and reduced costs. Good network security people are expensive and it is not cost-effective for small companies to have them on their payroll.
- Corporates want to gain 24/7 coverage. Modern global business requires an always-on mentality which is difficult to provide with limited resources.
- New regulatory requirements mean extensive reporting and continuous auditing of security systems.
It makes sense for Corporates customers to outsource their security. With an MSSP, Corporates can concentrate on their core business while getting high-quality professional security services from a centralized location. Operating costs can also be reduced because MSSPs can replicate similar services for multiple customers, lowering unit costs.